Heroines in the desert

To drag out the desert theme on this blog even further here are some more photos I’ve been gathering for inspiration.  Next week I have a shoot planned with Jamie, and it’s going to be (I think) vaguely desert themed–I say vaguely because we’re shooting it around Atlanta and far from any deserts.  I can’t help but think how amazing it would be to shoot in a real desert, especially when I see editorials like these two.  The Venetia Scott one, Desert Rose, was shot a few years ago but still looks really great and new, and I can’t get over the Marc by Marc Jacobs in its heyday-esque styling and how adorable Siri Tollerod is in desert snowbird settings.  And White Mischief is my favorite Tim Walker editorial in a long time.  I don’t love all of it (some of it gets too close to white woman among the natives territory) but there are parts of it that are more beautiful than anything I’ve seen recently. The inspiration for it is interesting (reckless British aristocrats in Kenya in the ’30s and ’40s), and the white dresses are  especially magical with the desert as a backdrop.

1. Posted April 15, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

Pretty breathtaking editorial. I love the old screen in the foreground of the last shot.

2. Posted April 15, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

The second to last and last are so amazing.

3. Emily Pidgeon
    Posted April 15, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

So good.

4. Posted April 15, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

Wow. That first picture was perfection!

Amber
    themagikmirror.blogspot.com

5. Posted April 15, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

These are so utterly gorgeous!!! I’m especially in love with that first photo…

6. Posted April 15, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

I’m heading to the desert next weekend – to Palm Springs and Joshua Tree – I hope to channel some of these looks in what I pack with me. I’ll be taking lots of pictures and posting them – so I hope you’ll get a chance to take a look. iwasthegoldengirl.blogspot.com

I’m hoping to stumble across a store of vintage desert photos or postcards. I’ll send you some if I do!

7. Posted April 15, 2011 at 7:01 pm | Permalink

WOW! Love the first one and the bather (without water). stunning!

8. Posted April 15, 2011 at 7:49 pm | Permalink

These are just fantastic… I love the first and second particularly, but all of them really…

9. Posted April 15, 2011 at 11:23 pm | Permalink

Such lovely pictures! That one of the empty pool is amazing – so beautifully composed!

10. Posted April 15, 2011 at 11:24 pm | Permalink

i love all the desert-related images you’ve been posting. i want to see the desert so bad.

11. Posted April 15, 2011 at 11:54 pm | Permalink

amazing. esp. that first photograph.

12. Posted April 16, 2011 at 1:48 am | Permalink

These are gorgeous! That entire outfit in the first picture (or at least something really, really similar) NEEDS to be in my closet.

13. Posted April 16, 2011 at 2:01 am | Permalink

I am loving all of your desert inspirations. I feel like we’re totally on the same page inspiration wise at the moment :) I cannot wait to see how your shoot turns out!!!

14. Posted April 16, 2011 at 2:19 am | Permalink

oh I especially love the marc jacobs one.

15. maria
    Posted April 16, 2011 at 4:13 am | Permalink

i just love that photoshoot of agyness deyn. beautiful!

16. Posted April 16, 2011 at 4:26 am | Permalink

yes, love Ventia Scott + that editorial. Can’t wait to see how the shoot turns out.
    xx

17. Posted April 16, 2011 at 8:45 am | Permalink

What inspiration! I adore the opening shot – it is gorgeous! Bets of luck for your shoot – can’t wait to see the results!

x

18. Posted April 16, 2011 at 10:48 am | Permalink

This idea is so beautiful, the way to pave with green bottles.

19. Vicky
    Posted April 16, 2011 at 7:01 pm | Permalink

I love these photos, thanks for sharing.
    I may have to steal that glass bottle path marker idea too!

20. Posted April 17, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

quite impressive

21. mariebayarea
    Posted April 18, 2011 at 1:24 am | Permalink

Beautiful images

22. Emily Pidgeon
    Posted April 18, 2011 at 2:03 am | Permalink

I keep coming back to this for some reason. The first shot is so captivating. Perhaps it’s just less “editorial” than the other ones. Can’t put me fingah on it!

23. Posted April 18, 2011 at 4:58 am | Permalink

Have you seen the music video for Ladytron’s “Ghosts”? It features everything you love– desert towns, 1960s/70s clothing and Joshua Tree! There are also dozens of desert rabbits and a coyote… wish I could do a photo shoot just like their video.

24. Mary
    Posted April 18, 2011 at 5:21 am | Permalink

Although it is a beautiful photoshoot, the last shot has all the markings of colonialism and British imperialist goals. It just doesn’t sit well with me that the only person of color in this photoshoot is made to be the “native” person that is simply an accessory in this glamorous lifestyle of a British aristocrat.

Mary

25. Posted April 18, 2011 at 9:48 am | Permalink

I will never ever get tired of desert based shoots! LOVE!

xx

26. Posted April 18, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

Hi, I’ve been a long-time reader but don’t know if I’ve ever left a comment! Thanks for posting such gorgeous inspiration all the time!

Cora

27. Posted April 26, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

Wow, these photos are gorgeous. What a very specific theme, but they pulled it off perfectly. And how cool is that abandoned pool with the sand in it? Love it.

2 Trackbacks