Post-surgery Weekend

Dress: Dear Creatures Ordinary Happy Moments Dress c/o Modcloth
Shoes: Chelsea Crew (bought 3 years ago?)
Sunglasses: Karen Walker

I think it might be a little silly that we did an outfit post two days after surgery, but today I was really itching to get outside after being stuck in the house this weekend.  The surgery went really well.  I didn’t know how nervous I was until Friday morning when we were on our way to the outpatient center, and I was jumpy and felt nauseous.  I pretty much felt the same way in the waiting room; they were playing those terrible doctor-related show that really are all about plastic surgery, so that didn’t help any.  Once I was in the pre-op room and got my iv I was feeling better.  All the nurses were extra nice and joke-y, and once they start putting stuff in your iv to calm you down there’s not much on earth that could worry you.  The anesthesia was just as wonderful as I remembered–just a drop of it (that I can remember at least) and I was out under the warm lights, with a bunch of reassuringly happy nurses making jokes around me.

Waking up is scarier–especially after I had my bed pushed to the post-op room and felt so hot all of a sudden that I tried to take all my blankets and my funny surgery socks off.  The pain in my arm was pretty terrible too, but as soon as the nurse started giving me more medications I started feeling a lot calmer, and it was so hard keeping my eyes open.  But soon enough the nurse was pushing me in a wheelchair out to Drew’s car, and even with Atlanta stop and go traffic the ride home wasn’t that bad.

I spent this whole weekend resting–probably mostly sleeping.  I’ve been getting pretty bad headaches that a lot of times hurt more than my elbow, so when they come along I drink Coke for the caffeine (I love coffee more but it’s hard to drink when I don’t feel well) and take one of the giant Ibuprofens the doctor gave me.  The I go downstairs and sleep.  Also I’ve totally been watching lots of Netflix like you all told me too–it’s kind of fun to have all the time in the world to get lost in a series,  and right now I’m watching Downton Abbey and am four episodes in, with plenty of time to finish.  I’ve been reading a little and also have been going online, even though the internet world just makes me wish I were up and at it again.  I miss thrift stores and Silent Sundays planning, though hopefully Jamie and I can get back into it soon.

Today was nice though, so Drew and I made a quick trip to get frozen yogurt at Yoforia.  I figure that as long as my bones are on the mend I’ll be needing lots of calcium, right?  After that we walked around Westside Provisions.  I wore this new Dear Creatures dress I got from Modcloth a few weeks ago, that I’ll definitely be wearing on my blog again since it’s a perfect summer dress and since my funny sling and scary swollen hand don’t do it justice at all.

1. Posted June 13, 2011 at 3:23 am | Permalink

you poor thing! at least your dress coordinates with your sling! stylish as ever.

2. Posted June 13, 2011 at 3:33 am | Permalink

i’d totally draw on your cast <3 get well soon!

Posted June 17, 2011 at 5:23 am | Permalink

ha ha, this is a fake brace one; I wish I had the kind you can draw on!

3. Emily Pidgeon
    Posted June 13, 2011 at 3:53 am | Permalink

Aww, I really like these pics :)

I’m jealin that y’all live on that side of town.

Feel better and don’t over do it too soon!

Posted June 17, 2011 at 5:22 am | Permalink

You’re nice, Emily. You should come to this part of town!!!

4. Anne
    Posted June 13, 2011 at 4:04 am | Permalink

That’s good that the surgery went well! Did they say how long it will take for your elbow to heal?
    Also, I’m glad you got out of the house and even got some pictures in! I LOVE Dear Creatures, especially the 2008-2009 lines which I failed to even know about so I don’t own any of those darling pieces, but it must be fun to own that line! Anyway, stay confident and take advantage of this time off. :)

Posted June 17, 2011 at 5:22 am | Permalink

Thanks, Anne! They said it would be around 6 weeks, I think? At least 3-4 in a cast.

Dear Creatures is really good, isn’t it? I think my favorite was last fall’s . . .all those dresses were so simple and good.

5. Posted June 13, 2011 at 4:11 am | Permalink

hope you get well from your arm soon!

6. Posted June 13, 2011 at 4:22 am | Permalink

That has to be one of the sweetest surgery and get well stories I’ve heard. Though the recovery part sounds the best. Get well!

7. Posted June 13, 2011 at 4:26 am | Permalink

It’s good to see you up and about so soon after surgery– I’m glad to hear that it went well. I definitely took pictures while I was in my walking boot back when I hurt my ankle. It might not be the prettiest ‘accessory’ ever but does stay true to a point in your life.

Love the sandals and can’t wait to see more of this dress.

Posted June 17, 2011 at 5:20 am | Permalink

Aww poor thing, seems like it would be a lot harder to break a leg or ankle. I don’t have any photos from the last time I broke my arm and sort of regret it . . .

8. Posted June 13, 2011 at 4:35 am | Permalink

I’m glad the surgery went well and I hope your arm feels better soon! That dress is super cute on you and so pretty. We have a yoforia in Athens and it’s so tasty – now I want some!

Posted June 17, 2011 at 5:19 am | Permalink

Thanks, Jamie! Ooh, I didn’t know Athens got a Yoforia. I dont’ think Ive been to Athens in a year . . .need to go back when I get better : )

9. Posted June 13, 2011 at 5:01 am | Permalink

What a trooper taking outfit photos! Glad the surgery went well. Your dress is lovely and so are you.

Take care
    x

10. Posted June 13, 2011 at 5:06 am | Permalink

Aw man, it’s sounds like you were really brave, seriously. I have a really scary, difficult phobia of doctors, and just thinking about hospitals and nurses and an IV makes me jittery and faint. So glad to see you’re on the mend, even if it’s still not always easy.

Posted June 17, 2011 at 5:19 am | Permalink

Thanks, Siri! The first part is the scariest . . . . IVs still scare me, mostly because when I was younger and had back surgery it took the nurse 5 tries to find the right vein, and I had a swollen arm for a few days. Once you get used to it (and drugged up) it’s not so bad.

• Posted June 18, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

Waaaah, five tries!! That’s my worst nightmare. I had to have blood taken the other day, and thankfully the guy was super pro and it was over in a flash. I still teared up though…

11. Posted June 13, 2011 at 5:11 am | Permalink

I am so glad you are healing well! The same thing happened to my best friend a couple years ago. (Actually her elbow broke at the beginning of her birthday party BY the boy she liked, oops?) If I remember quickly it heals quickly and without late complications.

Posted June 17, 2011 at 5:18 am | Permalink

Aww, good to hear it heals quickly! (what an awful way for your friend to have her elbow broken though)

12. Posted June 13, 2011 at 5:15 am | Permalink

It’s good to hear that you are healing well and that surgery went okay. I love the fabric of this dress! It is so pretty.

Posted June 17, 2011 at 5:16 am | Permalink

Thanks, Louise! Yeah, the print is really different for me, but I like it!

13. Posted June 13, 2011 at 6:04 am | Permalink

I’m glad to hear the healing is coming along nicely … surgery can be a scary thing indeed.
    Your dress is lovely, and yes … I say bring on more of that calcium in the form of yoghurt and icecream … your body needs it! :)

Posted June 17, 2011 at 5:15 am | Permalink

Been eating extra chocolate lately too, ha ha.

14. Posted June 13, 2011 at 7:01 am | Permalink

your dress is lovely.. love it so much!
    get well from your arm soon..

love love
    nora

15. Posted June 13, 2011 at 8:47 am | Permalink

I love your justifications to get the frozen yoghurt hee! You make for a very chic patient.

Posted June 17, 2011 at 5:12 am | Permalink

ha ha, it was one of the first things I thought of : )

16. Posted June 13, 2011 at 9:21 am | Permalink

The dress looks lovely, even though you’re wearing a sling. Get well soon!

17. Posted June 13, 2011 at 10:37 am | Permalink

I’m so glad to hear it all went well and you’re on the mend! It sounds so scary, you coped so well! I hope the yukky headaches stop soon :) The dress looks absolutely amazing, it really suits you Rhiannon.

Posted June 17, 2011 at 5:12 am | Permalink

Thanks, Josie! :)

18. Posted June 13, 2011 at 11:30 am | Permalink

I’m so glad you’re better and the surgery went fine! I’m sure you’ll heal soon!

The dress is beautiful indeed by the way, sling or no sling. :)

Posted June 17, 2011 at 5:12 am | Permalink

Aww, thanks! It’s a great dress–glad my sling didn’t completely hide it : )

19. Posted June 13, 2011 at 11:44 am | Permalink

awww, looks like the type of surgery we do in the ward I work on. You didnt even get to stay the night?
    Im so suprised you remember anything when you were out under anaesthetic!? wow.
    And I have to agree, waking up from anaesthetic is rotten at the best of times.
    Hope your recovery goes well.
    Your dress is really lovely, and you still look great, even with that fashionable sling ;)

Rose

Posted June 17, 2011 at 5:11 am | Permalink

Thanks so much, Rose! Do you do orthopedic surgery? I got mine done at an outpatient clinic–just took a few hours for surgery (and a lot more hours for getting ready/waking up/everything else). I think the whole thing would have seemed so much more serious if I had to stay the night.

20. Posted June 13, 2011 at 11:56 am | Permalink

Aw, best of luck getting all healed up, and glad to hear that the surgery went so well. I’m actually just starting Downton Abbey again for the second time even though I only finished it a month or so ago. It’s so good! All the buzz around the second season has me anxious. It should be here in the fall!

Posted June 17, 2011 at 5:04 am | Permalink

Thanks, Starr! Oooh, fall, really? That’s good news. I was afraid they’d be airing it in the UK and that it would take forever to get here. I might have to watch it twice again too. : )

Posted June 13, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

Love seeing you in you beautiful dress! You look great! You are definitely on the road to recovery!

22. Posted June 13, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

You look super glamorous even with the arm sling! Best of luck with the recovery, and that frozen yogurt just looks amazing!!

23. Posted June 13, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

Wow, you look great in that dress and with that arm sling not many people can pull that off..

Posted June 17, 2011 at 5:03 am | Permalink

Ha ha, I think I look pretty nerdy with it on. It feels like such a kid thing to have a broken arm : )

24. Posted June 13, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

so glad the surgery went well and you seem to be feeling better! sometimes a quick outing is all you need after an “event” like that!

25. Posted June 13, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Permalink

You poor thing! I’ve been behind on all my blog reading, so I just read about your broken elbow this morning. Ouch! Glad to hear the surgery went well and sending lots of get well wishes your way! :)

Posted June 17, 2011 at 5:02 am | Permalink

Thanks so much, Casey! Hope you’re doing well! : )

26. Aimee
    Posted June 13, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Permalink

Surgery is the pits! Hope you see a speedy recovery!

27. Posted June 13, 2011 at 8:56 pm | Permalink

I’m so glad you’re doing well. I am so behind on blog related everything that I had no idea you were hurt!!! I have to agree waiting for your turn and waking up for surgery are the worst parts! The relaxing drugs they give you right before is the best part!

Wishing you a quick recovery!

Posted June 17, 2011 at 5:02 am | Permalink

Thanks so much, Maria! Aww, poor thing, you’ve been in the hospital a bunch too! Well, sadly those calming drugs they give you definitely are the highlight. Anastesia is pretty magical (except for the waking up from it part)

28. Posted June 13, 2011 at 11:52 pm | Permalink

Oh, I’m glad the surgery went well! I hope you’re not in too much pain. Your dress is really pretty and you look really good for having just had surgery!
    Isn’t Downton Abbey wonderful? The costumes are gorgeous. I can hardly wait for Season 2 next winter. Enjoy having all that leisure time!

Posted June 17, 2011 at 5:01 am | Permalink

Thanks so much, Sarah!

Yes!! I really loved Downton Abbey. My mom kept telling me to watch it and that the costumes were amazing, and she was right. It was such a good era. And, yes, when is the new series airing? I really can’t wait.

29. Posted June 14, 2011 at 2:24 am | Permalink

I don’t think it’s silly at all! I remember right after I got out of the hospital with having my son, I went straight to the mall to go shopping. Being all cooped up just makes you so anxious!

I love this dress on you btw, you look gorgeous! :) Please get all better soon!

Love,
    Aya of Strawberry Koi

Posted June 17, 2011 at 4:59 am | Permalink

ha ha, that is amazing!! Were you in the hospital for a long time? When I got out all I wanted to do is sleep. Today I went to thrift stores and a restaurant and am so exhausted. Can’t imagine going anywhere straight after having a baby : )

30. Posted June 14, 2011 at 8:23 pm | Permalink

Glad your doing well and on the mend. Your dress still looks lovely even with the sling! x

31. Posted June 15, 2011 at 6:45 pm | Permalink

Glad you’re feeling a bit better now! You look great – and so does that fruity ice cream (?)!

If you’re looking for something else to watch the BBC mini series, Sherlock is great! It’s on Netflix, and it’s totally the best Sherlock Holmes adaption ever! <3 *is a crazy fan girl*

Hope you feel %100 better soon!!

Posted June 17, 2011 at 4:58 am | Permalink

Ooh, that sounds good. Thanks for the recommendation : )

32. Rhiannon
    Posted June 17, 2011 at 4:57 am | Permalink

Thanks so much everyone!!!!

33. Posted June 18, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

I looove Chelsea Crew shoes. I just bought a similar pair. So comfy, too! Lovely outfit.

34. Gabriela
    Posted June 19, 2011 at 6:39 am | Permalink

Hi from Mexico. I love the outfit and the blog too! Hope u’ll be better.

35. Posted June 20, 2011 at 6:42 am | Permalink

Ouchies! Speedy recovery!

36. Posted June 20, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

i wish you all the very best.
    you are so brave and i hope you are better so very soon.

37. Posted June 22, 2011 at 6:14 pm | Permalink

Your dress is perfect! :D

One Trackback

• [...] Julie of Orchid Grey pairs her frock with a chunky necklace and a basic cardigan, while Rhiannon of Liebemarlene Vintage makes a sling look sassy by matching her dress with oversized, vintage-inspired sunglasses. How [...]