Savannah Weekend

Dress: Madewell Stucco Stripe Dress (we had an iron, but obviously I forgot to use it)
Bag: vintage, Ebay
Boots: Rachel Comey
Sunglasses: Karen Walker Number One Sunglasses

On Thursday Drew had to go to Savannah for work, so we decided to make a weekend trip of it and ended up staying until today.  I’d only been to Savannah once before, and the last time we went it was August and hot and humid and miserable—not really ideal for exploring, though we explored anyway.  Going in late February is much better, even on weird days like Friday when it hit 80 degrees.

That day while Drew was working I walked all over the historic district with a camera and took a lot of photos.  I’m no photographer, so it’s good that Savannah is so photogenic; it’s hard to take a really bad photo when there’s bound to be spanish moss framing every shot and a brick road somewhere in the distance.  I just walked around like a tourist, going through the squares and taking photos of the monuments in them, gawking at the Mercer Williams House and at any other house that’s supposed to be haunted. I went through the old Colonial Park Cemetery again because the misplaced white tombstones propped up along the back wall always make me a little sad and also because, who am I kidding, my feet were killing me from all that walking in sandals, and the benches were such a good place to sit.

The trip got a lot more fun when Drew came back.  The next day we took a trip out to Wormsloe Plantation and Fort Pulaski, which I’ll post about another time since we took so many photos.  When we got back we were starving and went to Back in the Day Bakery, which we actually went to twice this time.  And both times I got an americano and a chocolate cupcake, because they have the best cupcake I’ve ever had.  I’m counting down the days until their cookbook comes out . . .

At night we had pizza at Vinnie Van Go Gos downtown, and then went on a haunted hearse tour that some friends of ours recommended.  I loved it because I’m pretty morbid and can’t get enough ghost stories, even though I’m cynical and end up wikipediaing whatever stories the tour guides tell us to find out if they’re true (they usually aren’t).  No matter how much I’d like to I just can’t get scared.  But we did get to go to some amazing places, like a hidden Jewish cemetery and the Pirate’s House, which is probably pretty touristy by day, but at night is just plain creepy.

We did so much walking and so much sightseeing that now that I’m home I just want to rest and do nothing.  Except maybe watch the Oscars.

1. Anne
    Posted February 27, 2012 at 7:17 am | Permalink

I love your outfit! Savannah looks beautiful with all the old buildings and whatnot! Also did you watch the Oscars, and if so, what did you think?

2. Posted February 27, 2012 at 8:22 am | Permalink

I agree with Anne, I love your outfit too! Sounds like you had a wonderful trip, but I know I wouldn’t be as brave on those ghost tours! I am such a wimp when it comes to scary things.

3. Posted February 27, 2012 at 9:22 am | Permalink

Ohh, you always visit the prettiest places! Though I definitely couldn’t handle ghost tours myself – I’d get so frightened! And I love your dress; the mustard colour suits you so well1 x

4. Posted February 27, 2012 at 9:25 am | Permalink

What a lovely dress! I wish I coud visit Savannah!

5. Posted February 27, 2012 at 9:45 am | Permalink

What a great dress, I love it! The old buildings look really pretty!

Posted February 27, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

I love your dress! You look great! The photo’s are wonderful. Glad you and
    Drew had a great time.

7. Posted February 27, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

I love the outfit!

8. Posted February 27, 2012 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

Savannah looks so dreamy. I’ve heard so many good things about it and now that I have a friend down in Athens, I think I will have to make a Georgia trip sometime in the next year.

I’m glad you ended up getting that dress! Isn’t it just the best?? I want to wear it every day and they just came out with a new version with little roses all over it. Perfect shape = need in every color and pattern!

9. Posted February 27, 2012 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

Wonderful post, Rhiannon! These photos are lovely. <3 Colonial was my favourite cemetery when we went…those lonely little headstones without a plot. So sad.

10. Posted February 27, 2012 at 5:53 pm | Permalink
  11. Posted February 27, 2012 at 10:47 pm | Permalink

Sounds like a lovely weekend! It’s definitely nice to get away, even if only for a little while. Spanish moss is beautiful – I especially love how it acts as a sort of frame in the second photograph. And your dress! I’m jealous beyond words! Who has time for ironing, anyway? :>

12. Meagan
    Posted February 27, 2012 at 11:43 pm | Permalink

Savannah is my hometown and the best place and I’m really glad you enjoyed it.

13. Posted February 28, 2012 at 3:28 am | Permalink

i love savannah! i’ve only been once a long time ago but it’s such a sweet little town. you look chic as usual!

14. Posted February 29, 2012 at 2:03 am | Permalink

You look so cute and laid back here! Question about the dress, because I’ve been eyeing it for a bit: does it fit funny in the arms? I read one review that she could barely lift her arms in it though it fit everyhwere else. I’m hoping it was a fluke!

One Trackback

• By Liebemarlene » Savannah and Steven Alan on March 28, 2012 at 4:56 pm

[...] I posted about our weekend trip to Savannah a few weeks ago I left out a bunch of stuff on purpose since I was planning up a travel guest post [...]