Loring Heights

Blouse: thrift store
Skirt: handmade
Shoes: Dolce Vita
Bag: vintage, via Ebay
Sunglasses: Karen Walker Number One

For Memorial Day weekend we didn’t really do too many outdoor things, since it was too hot.  No picnics and no real adventures, unless you count taking a few pictures in a park on our way to the mall as an adventure.  Not really, but it was fun because it was a new-to-me park, one Drew discovered when he was driving around the Loring Heights neighborhood.  It’s not that far from where we live, but it has an almost small town feel to it—lots of houses from the ’40s sitting above winding roads and little pocket parks.  We think that if we move anywhere in Atlanta we’d try to get a house in Loring Heights. It’s peaceful and grown up.  No college kids around throwing shoes at you (this really happened to me; usually I have a short temper and lose it but that time I was stunned frozen).

Oh, this skirt—before I got obsessed with gardening I was obsessed with skirt-sewing.  I started off by trying to make a dress, but it turned out so weirdly shaped that I had to cut off the top and sew it into a skirt, and I’ve been making them ever since. This one’s the first one that I really like well enough to put on my blog.  If the print looks familiar it’s because I was heavily “inspired” by Wren’s summer collection and hunted down the perfect ikat fabric on Etsy to make it.  It’s not as good as the dream dress, but I like it.

Other things we’ve done this weekend: hang out with friends Friday night at Octane (we go there so much they’re probably sick of us), plant more herbs, cook dinner every night and pear buckwheat pancakes this morning, run (me) and bike (Drew), watch Mad Men.  I’ve also been knitting a sweater and reading Joan Didion and trying to bid snipe a dress on Ebay.

1. Posted May 28, 2012 at 6:32 pm | Permalink

Ah! That fabric is absolutely perfect, it is so similar to your dream dress. Hooray for skirt making!

And when are you coming to Portland?! If you need a tour guide who mostly eats at home and doesn’t drive, well then I am all yours. I know about the important things like the best coffee and bakeries though.

Posted May 31, 2012 at 3:54 am | Permalink

Let’s meet up!!! I’m there next Wednesday through Sunday, staying in the Pearl District. Drew’s going to be working on getting a show set up so I’ll have plenty of time. I’m pretty excited about these coffee shops and bakeries. : )

2. Posted May 28, 2012 at 7:21 pm | Permalink

Pear buckwheat pancakes sound pretty amazing, sounds like a good hol! Lovely outfit too, so fresh and summery.

Penny Dreadful Vintage

3. Posted May 28, 2012 at 8:09 pm | Permalink

It’s the perfect fabric! And not such a shabby version of the Wren dress, I’d be very impressed if I’d been able to make that myself. Good luck with the dress on ebay, bidding is far more stressful than you’d imagine. xx

Posted May 31, 2012 at 3:55 am | Permalink

Thanks, Rebecca, it was actually pretty easy! I’ve made this pattern around 4 times so far, and each time it gets a little easier (and less messed up).

4. Posted May 28, 2012 at 8:40 pm | Permalink

I have a thing for parks, I love them so much. This one seems just about perfect!

5. Posted May 28, 2012 at 9:45 pm | Permalink

This outfit is so light, so summery

6. Posted May 28, 2012 at 10:26 pm | Permalink

great photo’s, I absolutely love your outfit and that skirt is incredible. I love the pairing with the blue shirt. This park looks like bliss! x

7. Posted May 28, 2012 at 10:45 pm | Permalink

Pear buckwheat pancakes!? Jeramy would love those, must get your recipe. You look lovely, as always.

8. Posted May 28, 2012 at 11:04 pm | Permalink

I love that skirt, it’s amazing and great photos!
    Have a good week :)
    Grace x

9. Posted May 29, 2012 at 4:33 am | Permalink

I can’t believe someone threw a shoe at you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Which Didion book are you reading?? She’s my number one favourite!

Posted May 31, 2012 at 3:58 am | Permalink

Ha ha, and it was during the day too! These little nerdy Georgia tech kids.

And I can see why Joan Didion’s your favorite–she’s so good! I’m reading Slouching Towards Babylon, and I just ordered Play it As it Lays off of ebay and can’t wait.

10. Posted May 29, 2012 at 9:41 am | Permalink

These photos are so beautiful, I wish I could just step right into them. Your outfit is perfect, and I’m suddenly feeling very inspired to try my hand at sewing again!

11. Posted May 29, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

they trow shoes just like that? without any reason? weird…
    Lovely skirt :D from what country is that ikat motive?

Posted May 31, 2012 at 4:00 am | Permalink

Yeah, we have some strange kids in this neighborhood. I was getting ready to run and they just randomly tried to hit me with a shoe and missed.

Well, I’m not sure which country this print is from, but I’m guessing it’s just an American made rayon replica.

Posted May 29, 2012 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

Love the skirt! The pictures are great! Glad you had a
    relaxing weekend!

13. Posted May 29, 2012 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

beautiful photos! and your skirt looks lovely! x

14. Posted May 29, 2012 at 9:44 pm | Permalink

My goodness, pear buckwheat pancakes!!! I will definitely try that recipe :)
    I’m so glad to see one of your sewing creations, Rhiannon! I remember when you mentioned designing your dream dress and getting the fabric to make it, I’m sure the one you made didn’t look as wrong as you felt but we’re a bit perfectionists, so cutting the top was actually a great chance to make a garment that you will wear a lot and offers plenty of fun styling ideas!
    Ale
    x

Posted May 31, 2012 at 4:01 am | Permalink

Thanks, Ale! Yeah, that dress just didn’t turn out. And when I salvaged enough to make a skirt the skirt ended up being too short to wear around, so I think I might have to get some more of that fabric. It was so good.

15. Posted May 30, 2012 at 2:36 am | Permalink

hooray! I was waiting to see your sewing project. quite nice! i love the whole little outfit.

16. Posted May 30, 2012 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

That’s such a beautiful skirt! I’d like to take up sewing but I’m afraid all the stuff I’d make would turn out lopsided and awful. I guess it takes a lot of practice! And that sounds like a wonderful weekend. I’m saving that pear buckwheat pancakes recipe for later! :)

Posted May 31, 2012 at 4:02 am | Permalink

Thanks, Emily! I bet you would be good at sewing–you’re an artistic person. My problem is that I’m not precise at all, so everything I sew does end up being lopsided and wonky, which is why I haven’t been able to make a decent dress yet. Skirts are a lot easier though.

17. Rhiannon
    Posted May 31, 2012 at 4:01 am | Permalink

Thanks so much, everyone!

18. Posted May 31, 2012 at 8:11 am | Permalink

Looks lovely!

19. Indra
    Posted November 2, 2012 at 10:05 am | Permalink

Hello :)
    It’s very nice to write to you, hope you don’t mind :) I always liked your blog, very inspiring one, interesting corners of America and dreamy photos sometimes is all I need! So, I’m writing to ask about one picture I saw, but when I tried to find it after some time (it’s been very long time ago, but I hope you’ll remember) too bad I couldn’t find it,perhaps you deleted it… It was a photo of a house, very cozy and as I remember, small and with a stairs to the front door. It was overgrown with creepers… I’m willing you remember that house, because I would so glad to have a picture of it :)