Blueberry Picking

Blouse: H&M
’70s shorts: thrift store
Shoes: Worishofer View of the Sea Sandals, c/o Modcloth
Sunglasses: Karen Walker Number One

This weekend was about as good as Atlanta weekends get for us.  We did all our favorite things, got to see friends, got to get out of the city when we went blueberry picking out in the countryside by Serenbe.  Every year I mean to go pick blueberries but usually whenever I remember and go to look up good patches the season has passed.  Somehow I remembered in time this year.  I did a quick search and found Foxbrier Farm, which ended up being so good that I’m going to have to write a Southerly post about it.

Foxbrier Farm is more of a wholesale supplier than pick-your-own patch (they sell blueberries to farm to table restaurants like Miller Union and the Farmhouse at Serenbe), so when we went we were the only ones there.  Well, except for a few horses on the other side of the fence.  We ended up picking a few pounds of blueberries and had more than we knew what to do with, so I put most of them in the freezer to put in many future batches of muffins.

I haven’t been baking as much as usual lately.  For one thing it’s been too hot to turn on the oven any more than I have to.  Plus I’ve been trying to eat a little healthier, which means less baked goods for breakfast and lots more fruit and muesli.  But I did make a tiny batch of muffins last night, semi-healthy ones that turned out so bad that I’m really tempted to go back to my favorite blueberry muffin recipes, healthy or not.

Posted July 17, 2012 at 12:00 am | Permalink

Love all the pictures and the blueberries look great! We’ll wait to see pictures
    of the “Blueberry Muffins”!

2. Posted July 17, 2012 at 1:35 am | Permalink

You can almost taste the blueberries in the last photo. I always seem to miss the picking seasons, too, but I’m hoping to pick blueberries in Michigan when my family goes next week. Enjoy your harvest!

3. jade fain
    Posted July 17, 2012 at 3:10 am | Permalink

i like your honesty and simplicity

4. Posted July 17, 2012 at 6:20 am | Permalink

you have the most loveliest blog <3

5. Posted July 17, 2012 at 11:06 am | Permalink

I will never cease to be jealous of you two and all the lovely trips you do. I want to go back to the south! I actually planted a blueberry bush in our yard just this weekend! Fingers crossed I don’t kill it…

I know what you mean about healthy baking. I’ve tried quite a few recipes lately with sugar alternatives such as agave, and different flours and things like that, in an attempt to curb my sweet tooth problems. They really never seem to turn out right! Just this afternoon though I tried the bran muffins recipe from Heidi Swanson’s Super Natural cookbook, and they’re seriously awesome! They make a perfect breakfast muffin :) http://design-conundrum.blogspot.com.au/2011/08/recipe-review-bran-muffins.html

I got the back in the day bakery cookbook by the way, it’s so wonderful!!! I have tried the choc chip cookies (first thing I made, of course!) and the lemon loaf. I can’t wait to try the blondies you posted about!

xx

6. Posted July 17, 2012 at 8:50 pm | Permalink

Ahh, so many blueberries! They look delicious. I really love your posts at Southlerly, and the whole concept behind it.

7. Posted July 18, 2012 at 12:29 am | Permalink

these photos are beautiful. i love horses so much

8. Posted July 19, 2012 at 9:42 pm | Permalink

Would love to do this someday! Lovely outfit!

9. Posted July 22, 2012 at 9:29 pm | Permalink

That blueberry picking sounds like a great plan, specially if you are going to bake delicious stuff with them afterwards! :)

10. Posted July 25, 2012 at 7:51 pm | Permalink

Simple outfit but you look amazing. Blueberries sound absolutely delish.