Barnsley Gardens

Dress: Dusen Dusen (anniversary gift)
Coat: Penny Stock
Bag: vintage, Etsy
Shoes: Rachel Comey

I’m so excited about Thanksgiving that I pretty much spent these last few days wishing I could wish the weekend away. Not that it wasn’t good. It was sunny the whole time and in the mid 60s—really I didn’t have a thing to complain about, but for some reason the first part of the weekend dragged.  Especially on Saturday, when I got depressed for no reason and tried my best to sleep the day off.  Mostly I just didn’t want to be in Atlanta.  I was homesick for my family and homesick for Tennessee (our future home), and no amount of reading/Judy Garland documentary-watching/history blog reading could shake it.

Fortunately, Sunday turned out to be a lot better.  We woke up and drove straight up 75 (same way we’ll be going later this week) and headed for Barnsley Gardens for the afternoon.  I’d heard of the place for a while now, but I always assumed it was just some cheesy resort for fancy Atlantans.  Which it is, in a way. There’s a golf course and sporty bars and a strange little faux village with perfectly manicured streets.  But there’s also a 19th century brick mansion, or at least the ruins of it, surrounded by reconstructed gardens and ponds. My favorite part of all was the museum, where the docent showed us photos and told us the history of the place, which included Civil War encampment, tornadoes, and a 1930s murder.  As soon as I get time I’ll do a Southerly post on the place. Drew took a lot more photos than what you see here.  And the story’s too good not to tell.

Photos by Drew.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted November 19, 2012 at 9:53 pm | Permalink

looks like a lovely place! and you look really pretty in that dress:) x

2. Posted November 20, 2012 at 1:27 am | Permalink

Your photos of warm temps always have me wishing we didn’t already have 2 feet of snow over here in Canada.

~F

Posted November 20, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

What a cute dress and the pictures are amazing!

4. Posted November 20, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

Beautiful pictures!

5. sam
    Posted November 20, 2012 at 6:43 pm | Permalink

When are you moving to Tennesee?! That’s so great.

6. Posted November 20, 2012 at 6:45 pm | Permalink

Oh, I love Barnsley Gardens. I visited years ago when I still lived in Atlanta. I was studying horticulture, and our class went there for a special field trip. We toured the old gardens and had a candlelight picnic. I remember the ruins were festooned with moonflowers. It was so beautiful, so romantic.

7. Posted November 20, 2012 at 8:49 pm | Permalink

Rhiannon!! Are you guys really moving to Tennessee?! That’s so exciting, that you’ll get to be near your family again!!!!

8. Posted November 21, 2012 at 2:10 am | Permalink

love these photos, it’s like a dream!

9. Posted November 21, 2012 at 7:48 am | Permalink

These are absolutely stunning! Your blog is so dreamy, lady.

10. Marika
    Posted November 21, 2012 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

You look so lovely! Hope you have a lovely Thanksgiving :)

11. Posted December 22, 2012 at 10:20 pm | Permalink

You look so beautiful. I love how that parka makes your dress look less intimidating and more casual. I love your style!