Franklin, TN

Coat: Penny Stock
Blouse: thrift store
Necklace and jeans: Madewell
Bag: Etsy
Sunglasses: Karen Walker

When we were in Tennessee with my family over Thanksgiving I was lazy and didn’t take a single photo of my own, except for a few phone shots of the men’s bathroom at the Hermitage Hotel.  Well, it was a nice bathroom—black and green art deco.  I snuck into look at it twice when Drew and my sisters and their husbands and I were eating at Capitol Grille and drinking old-fashioned cocktails at the Oak Bar. That was one of the highlights of the weekend.  (The night in general—not the bathroom, though I guess that’s up there too).

Other highlights: seeing my family for five days straight, hanging out with my funny nephew and niece, running along a country road, eating a ton of food . . . This was our first vegan Thanksgiving, and weirdly enough it turned out to be, foodwise, the best Thanksgiving I can remember in years.  We had soup, stuffing, rolls, green beans, cranberries made by Neil (the real deal—no canned stuff, though I like that too) and even vegan turkey that Neil found.  Also I made my first vegan pumpkin pie from the only recipe I could find online that didn’t have tofu or a bunch of weird stuff thrown in.  It was so good that we’re using Christmas as an excuse to make another.

My birthday was yesterday, but we celebrated it with my family on Saturday, when my mom made a vegan version of the old family chocolate cake recipe.  When I turned vegan a few months ago I kept saying that my mom’s chocolate cake was the only thing I was going to really miss. Now I won’t have to–the vegan version was just about as amazing as the real thing.

On Saturday Drew and I also went to tour the Carter House in Franklin.  Which I won’t say anything about here, because it deserves a big Southerly post that I still need to write.  But here are a few tourist pictures Drew took while we were waiting outside.  I’m wearing jeans because it was freezing that day (not technically, but almost) and because I need to start wearing pants more. Especially once winter comes along. For all the cold weather complaining I do it’s ridiculous not to.

Photos by Drew.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted November 28, 2012 at 9:38 am | Permalink

That parka is just wonderful

Posted December 1, 2012 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

Thanks!! I love it but I accidentally got the men’s version so it’s a little too big. It’s a great coat though!

2. Posted November 28, 2012 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

Happy belated birthday!! Sounds like you had a wonderful time with your family (and wonderful food). Also, where did you get those boots!?

Posted December 1, 2012 at 5:14 pm | Permalink

Thanks Alex. :) They’re Rachel Comey and I got them a year ago during the after Christmas sales. I haven’t seen any in stores since then, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see a pair pop up on Ebay every now and then.

3. Posted November 28, 2012 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

I <3 Franklin, TN. I have family there and always look forward to visits full of mountain walks and music.

Posted December 1, 2012 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

I’m so happy when we’re in Tennessee!

4. Posted November 28, 2012 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

Sounds perfect!

Posted November 28, 2012 at 10:06 pm | Permalink

I love you in jeans! You look great and the photo’s were awesome!

Posted December 1, 2012 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Anthe!

6. Posted November 29, 2012 at 2:52 am | Permalink

Happy birthday again! I’m so looking forward to the Southerly post!
    And you look great in jeans!!!!

7. Posted November 29, 2012 at 2:53 am | Permalink

p.s. I messaged Jessica on facebook the other day – it had been forever – remember the band we used to talk about starting?!!?

Posted December 1, 2012 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

Yes!!! Is it too late? Am I too old now? (32) If so you guys can kick me out or I could be your manager—first gig’s in Oakland Cemetery after dark!

8. Ash
    Posted November 30, 2012 at 12:46 am | Permalink

Hey Rhiannon, I made this vegan pumpkin pie this year and it’s the best one I’ve ever made. The pecan crust is divine.
    ^
    (the third recipe down). Just make sure to use a crust shield because the edges do burn a little easily

Posted December 1, 2012 at 5:10 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Ash! Looks like a good one. I’ve made a few other recipes from that blog and they turned out pretty good!

9. Posted December 2, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

You look good in jeans. I also haven’t worn jeans or pants for like three years, I think. I just ordered a pair from H&M the other day, because I got tired of wearing a dress or skirt every single day… and I am wearing a pair of corduroy pants today, but that’s because it snowed today and I was too cold to go outside without them.

10. Esther
    Posted February 14, 2013 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

Hi Rhiannon! So refreshing to see you in jeans and good for you on turning vegan! If you’re ever on the lookout for recipes, you should try Dreena Burton’s cookbooks (although a lot of the recipes are available online). She also has a lot of baking recipes that I’m sure you’d love, my personal favorite are the oatmeal raisin cookies, supereasy and wholesome. Really enjoy your blog & lovely pictures! Greetings from The Netherlands