More Mississippi

1. On our way back to Atlanta (I’m doing this post a little backwards, I know) we stopped at Elvis Presley’s Birthplace in Tupelo, which you can read more about here.  It was closed when we went, but no matter; mainly I just wanted to see if the house was really as small as Yelpers said it was (it is).

2. Tupelo National Battlefield was even smaller—just a patch of grass with a few monuments.  But that’s more than you can say for most battlefield sites in Atlanta.  I’m just glad it was preserved.

3. We spent most of our time in Oxford on the town square.  We ate dinner there both nights—City Grocery one night (it was intimidatingly fancy at first, but people there were nice and even made us special vegan meals), Boure the next.  We went to Square Books and drank coffee and people-watched. Best of all were the buildings and the history of the place. We walked around and tried to imagine the square as it was during the Civil War, when it was occupied by General Grant and his troops.  Weirdly enough, this December marks the 150 year anniversary.

4. On our last morning in town we stopped by Bottletree Bakery, because I’d read that it was fairly vegan-friendly and that it was one of the better spots in town.  Also, Oprah’s been there!  (She’s our favorite funny celebrity and my Instagram favorite)  Drew and I had really good granola and my parents had pastries that looked even better (and probably were).

5. After Bottletree we walked over to St. Peter’s Cemetery to pay our respects to William Faulkner.  We couldn’t find his gravestone, but we happened to run into a few people who were on their way to the Faulkner plot to film a horror movie.  It was great. One of the guys was a tourguide of sorts, so we learned some interesting facts about the cemetery and the complex across the street, where supposedly Sam Sheppard has a condo? Not sure if that’s true, but they led us to the right spot. Which I guess you could tell by the broken beer and Jack Daniels bottles.

Photos by Drew. (Except for the first ones and the blurry ones).

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted November 13, 2012 at 4:16 am | Permalink

lovely post! :) the light picture effect is amazing

2. Posted November 13, 2012 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

Do you guys watch Parks & Rec at all?
    If you do, I totally thought of Li’l Sebastian in that last pic! hehehe

Posted November 15, 2012 at 7:30 pm | Permalink

No, but I need to if there’s a mini horse in it! ;)

3. leia
    Posted November 13, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

However much I enjoy your awkward musings, I hate how much you romanticize southern fuckery,

Posted November 13, 2012 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

Leia, how am I romanticizing southern fuckery? And what is southern fuckery anyway?

I’m guessing you’re talking about the Civil War battlefield and the Confederate Dead monument, and I’m sorry that the photo offended you. I probably should have written more about the battlefield and my reason for stopping there and wanting to take photos.

Right now I’m obsessed with the Civil War; it’s what I talk about when I have too much to drink (awkward musings) and what I think about when I drive around the South, because its history is impossible to avoid here, unless you’re really trying to (and I don’t think you should). All the books by the side of my bed are Civil War-related. The one I was reading when I was in Mississippi, Confederates in the Attic, goes into the whole Lost Cause thing that’s still creepily alive and well here in these parts. It talks about the UDC and all of the confederate dead monuments they put up in the early part of the last century, which is why I took that photo. Not to glorify, but simply because it interested me.

When I first moved to the South I definitely romanticized it on my blog, and I wish I hadn’t. Back then it was all spanish moss and plantations to me, and I didn’t know about or want to focus on the “fuckery,” as you put it. I’m honestly sorry for that. It’s part of the reason why I deleted my old blog. And also part of the reason why we started The Southerly. I’m still learning, but I want to know more. And I want to say the kinds of things you can’t say on a fluff fashion blog.

I deleted that UDC monument photo, because I don’t think it belongs on a fluff fashion blog either. Sorry about that.

4. Posted November 13, 2012 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

Sounds like a lovely trip!

Tiny tiny Elvis house :)

5. Posted November 13, 2012 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

Wow! Elvis’ house is teeny! Sounds like you guys had a great trip. And I agree with Meg’s comment, Li’l Sebastian!!

-Alex

Posted November 13, 2012 at 10:57 pm | Permalink

Whoever Leia is… she should be blocked from the blog. If you can’t say anything nice
    don’t bother hitting the keys…..

As Rhiannon’s Mother-In-Law I only have to say how much we all enjoy her blog’s along with the wonderful photo’s taken by my son Drew. (Love the Elvis house picture)!

So….LEIA…Rhiannon writes beautifully and is very talented and a wonderful person who would never offend anyone…unlike yourself!!!

Posted November 15, 2012 at 7:30 pm | Permalink

Anthe, thanks for being so nice. :)

7. Posted November 14, 2012 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

Go mom-in-law! Your defense of Rhiannon is sweet and shows your love. BUT… Rhiannon’s willingness to allow dissenting (and somewhat offense) comments shows she’s a professional, and her thoughtful response only shows that she’s willing to grow and learn, and makes me admire her more. It’s a win-win.

The point of a blog isn’t (or perhaps shouldn’t be) just to “toot your own horn.” I’d argue it’s a way to express what you’re thinking about, and see what people make of it. As with anything in life, some will agree and some will disagree. No, there’s no need for commenters to be ugly or use foul language, true.

But I can appreciate Leia’s emotional response. After all, there are places here where the confederate flag is still officially sanctioned and flown (alone or as part of a state flag’s design) on government property, despite the fact that it frightens, hurts, and offends so many. Those states or municipalities that have chosen to remove the confederate banner have only done so recently, and with vocal opposition from so many who, despite what the phrase implies, hope the “South will rise again.”

Posted November 15, 2012 at 7:56 pm | Permalink

Liza, thanks for your support and input. I definitely agree—I don’t delete comments unless they’re obvious trolling (“you’re so ugly” comments get sent straight to the trash . . . . come on, people). I don’t want to block Leia; I want to hear what she has to say. I want to hear her argument, though so far it’s nonexistent.

There’s a lot I have to learn still, and I definitely make mistakes. I love the South and am fascinated by the Civil War, but when blogging about it I need to remember that it’s still a polarizing subject. Until fairly recently I had no idea that there are people here who are still mourning the Lost Cause or that the confederate flag was still being flown. Going to school in the Midwest I got the very much pro-Union/Honest Abe side of the story, and I guess I was naive enough to think that the rest of the country did too. When I look at a confederate dead monument I see it at a fascinating but sad memorial to soldiers who were on the wrong side of history. I hate to think that Leia (or any other readers) thought otherwise.

8. leia
    Posted November 16, 2012 at 3:02 am | Permalink

Hey thanks for the great reply to my post. My intent was never to offend (sorry mother-in-law), I guess I got caught in a moment. I just moved to Florida from Massachusetts. Since moving here I have been surrounded by so much every day racism. Sometimes driving in my car the bumper stickers alone make me want to cry. I was recently behind a “If I would have known this, I would have picked my own cotton” bumper sticker for an ungodly amount of miles. People say and do things here that are racist without even realizing it and with this recent election I feel like the population around where I live was whipped into a frenzy. The whole thing made me feel super bummed out. I guess the legacy of the confederacy leaves a bad taste in mouth. Thanks for not blocking me, like I said in my original post I really do enjoy reading your blog and will now make it a point to check out The Southerly.

Posted November 19, 2012 at 7:32 pm | Permalink

Leia, no worries. I saw a few bumper stickers like that and they made me sick too. In Atlanta it’s not so bad, at least from what I see of it. But once you go out of the city it can get bad—bumper stickers and confederate flags and overhearing bits of conversations that you can’t believe are still taking place now rather than 100 years ago. Birth of a Nation style fear mongering. It’s ugly.

Anyhow I’m glad you brought up the issue, because it really did need to get brought up.

9. Emma
    Posted November 21, 2012 at 10:48 pm | Permalink

Square Books is my favorite bookstore in the whole world. I’m new to your blog and was so happily surprised to see you post about one of my favorite places in Mississippi!