Worthington Tree Farm

Sweater: Thrift store
Bag: vintage, via Etsy
Jeans: Skargorn, via Madewell
Boots: Madewell

With all the 70 degree days we’ve had lately it doesn’t feel like December, and we’ve been trying to fake the Christmas spirit the best we can.  We listen to cheesy Christmas music stations that play the old stuff: lots of Nat King Cole, Bing Crosby, and—weirdly enough—The Carpenters, and I’ve been planning out my Christmas baking in advance.  So far, so good.

But now that we have a tree it feels a lot more like Christmas.  On Saturday we took a trip south of the city down to Worthington Tree Farm, which happens to be near a Civil War battlefield.  We didn’t go there since there there were hundreds of people there for a cross country race that was happening, but it was nice to take a (quick) drive through the country and to get out of Atlanta for an afternoon.  The trees at the farm were so good that it was hard to pick out a spindly little thing like we usually try to get, so we got a pretty full one this time: dark green with bits of yellow at the tips.

The rest of the weekend was good, too. My parents were in town Friday night, and we all went to the Atlanta History Center so I could take them to the Civil War exhibits, and then we went to dinner at Urban Pl8, which is one of our favorite places to eat in Atlanta right now.  The rest of the weekend I spent online Christmas shopping, online wasting time, reading.  On Sunday we made gingerbread cookies and decorated the tree.  Now all we need to do is start watching Christmas movies. Because I don’t think it will really feel like the holiday season to me until I’ve watched Christmas in Connecticut and It’s a Wonderful Life.

Photos by Drew.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted December 10, 2012 at 8:15 pm | Permalink

these photos are so dreamy. love

Posted December 11, 2012 at 5:34 am | Permalink

Thanks Maria. : )

2. Posted December 10, 2012 at 10:12 pm | Permalink

I agree with you that Christmas really isn’t Christmas without “Christmas in Connecticut.”

Posted December 11, 2012 at 5:33 am | Permalink

I just found out that Barbara Stanwyck is TCM’s star of the month right now!!

3. Mika
    Posted December 10, 2012 at 11:38 pm | Permalink

You look so cute in pants!

It’s been strange non-wintery weather here in California too, so I like your idea of getting extra cheesy in order to help create the holiday feeling. Have you veganized all your Christmas baking ideas? I’d love to hear about them!

Posted December 11, 2012 at 5:31 am | Permalink

Thanks, Mika! I still feel strange wearing pants, but I’m getting used to them, slowly . . .

Isn’t it strange seeing Christmas lights up outside when it feels like late summer? I can’t get over it. But that’s a great idea about doing a post on vegan baking. I should do that!

But this is the gingerbread recipe I used:

And then I just did a standard vanilla icing, with Earth Balance instead of butter and soy milk instead of milk. Hopefully I can do the same thing to some of our family cookie recipes. The vegan Christmas cookie recipes I’m finding just aren’t adding up . . .

• Mika
        Posted December 12, 2012 at 2:21 am | Permalink

Haha I know what you mean about pants… I wore skirts and dresses exclusively for about two years and felt really odd wearing jeans at first. But you have great legs for them! Plus it’s difficult to wear dresses in some situations.

Those cookies are adorable. I’ll have to try making them. I love the PPK too. Have you seen their Vegan Brunch book? It has so many amazing recipes.

And yes, you should do a post on your vegan baking/cooking! I’m vegetarian, thinking about transitioning to veganism and would love to hear about your experiences :)

4. Posted December 11, 2012 at 12:24 am | Permalink

Love the top! Thrift stores are the best for finding sweaters for winter. Sounds like you had a lovely weekend :]

Aryn
    Driftwood and Daydreams

Posted December 11, 2012 at 5:34 am | Permalink

Thanks Aryn! Definitely agree about the thrift stores. I can’t bring myself to buy a brand new sweater because the old ones from the thrift stores are so good (and cheap).

5. Posted December 11, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

Definitely agreed that the weather is not conducive to the holiday spirit, I’ve been battling it by staying inside my cold, drafty house (10 degrees colder inside than out!), baking, and lighting cinnamon scented candles. These photos are lovely, your sweater looks so nice and cozy!

Bevin
    magnoliareverie.blogspot.com

6. Posted December 11, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

Ohhhh Christmas in Connecticut is the best holiday movie!
    Did you and Drew decide to go vegan together??

7. Posted December 12, 2012 at 3:56 am | Permalink

It’s A Wonderful Life is my favorite Christmas movie. Also, those trees look perfect! I love their shade of green. Your sweater looks so comfy! x

8. Posted December 15, 2012 at 1:42 am | Permalink

dreamy as always! <3 the sweater is amazing! I want it! :-)

9. Posted December 17, 2012 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

You’re the chicest person at the tree farm!