Charleston Wedding

Dress: No. 6 (via Ebay)
Necklace: Madewell Arrowstack Necklace
Shoes: Marais Ankle Strap Pumps
Bag: Clare Vivier Clutch (gift from Drew)

Any excuse to go to Charleston is a good one, I figure.  It’s one of my favorite places to go—I’ve been there maybe 5 times now, but I don’t think I could ever get sick of walking down Meeting Street, twisting my ankles on the cobblestones of Chalmers St., and tourist-dodging on the Battery.  The food is good, the history is good.  I’m happy whenever I go there.

This time around we were in town to go to our friends’ wedding in nearby Mount Pleasant.  It was held in the historic district at an old tavern/inn that I would have taken photos of if I weren’t so nervous–weddings/big social occasions usually bring out the socially awkward worst in me.  But this one was beautiful—the ceremony took place outside in a courtyard, and afterwards we went upstairs and had a great meal and got to meet a lot of great people.

We stayed in downtown Charleston, in the bottom level of the John Robinson Cookhouse, which I found after doing a lot of VRBO-ing.  It’s actually the kitchen building of a great big Charleston home, dating back to the early 1800s, and the sister home of the more famous Aiken-Rhett House, which, for a while, had served as General Beauregard’s Civil War headquarters. I know that because our room had a Charleston tour guide training manual in it, and I read it almost all the way through. So for the rest of the trip I was annoyingly throwing out facts about 18th century churches and Civil War-related anything and Porgy and Bess streets.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted January 21, 2013 at 10:42 pm | Permalink

Both of you guys look fantastic. Would love to go to Charleston one day! Can you please make a guide someday?

Posted January 21, 2013 at 11:13 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Joy! Yes, definitely, that’s a great idea. We have some posts lined up for the Southerly and will probably do a short “best of” type post. I’ll try to write up all our favorite things to do/places to eat/stay in that one.

2. Posted January 21, 2013 at 11:20 pm | Permalink

so glad you guys had a great trip, Rhi (I agree with Joy, you should make a guide of your favorite places!) – Charleston is the best, and you both look well dressed for the occasion. :) you guys fit in in Charleston, I think. I love that dress!!

Posted January 24, 2013 at 5:32 pm | Permalink

ha ha, thanks, sister!! : )

3. Posted January 21, 2013 at 11:49 pm | Permalink

You look beautiful. I would also appreciate a guide, as I’ve never been, and would like to take a family weekend trip there some time soon…

4. Posted January 22, 2013 at 12:03 am | Permalink

What a perfect place to stay! Thanks for the recommendation-I was just thinking of a trip to Charleston!

Posted January 22, 2013 at 2:02 am | Permalink

Your dress looks great and I love the pictures of Charleston and the place you stayed!
    Glad you had a good wedding weekend!

Posted January 25, 2013 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Anthe!!

6. Posted January 22, 2013 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

I love your travel posts most of all! As jealous as I get of your proximity to all of these beautiful Southern cities, I still manage to enjoy living vicariously through you two!
    I agree with Lauren, you both look great, and you fit right in in Charleston! It was one of my favourite places when I was road tripping – so I’m gonna back up the suggestion that you make a guide of your favourite spots! If only so I can pretend I’m there. :)

Posted January 24, 2013 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Meaghan! We still need to go to Cypress Gardens—I remember how beautiful it looked in your blog photos when you went there!

7. Posted January 22, 2013 at 11:27 pm | Permalink

I really love that dress. I’m also jealous that you’re able to wear bare legs and arms in January – it’s a little too chilly in Nashville to go without a layer or two. I’ve driven through/around Charleston many a time, but never stopped to look around. Next time we’re nearby we’ll have to at least make a day trip of it, using your future Southerly post as a reference.

Posted January 25, 2013 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

Elizabeth, yeah, I keep hearing about how cold it’s been in Nashville! And I couldn’t believe how much warmer it was in Charleston than here in Atlanta. I”ll take it.

I’ll definitely write up that post. ; )

8. Posted January 23, 2013 at 7:52 pm | Permalink

Lovely outfits both of you! Looks like a pretty place to visit! x

9. Posted January 23, 2013 at 11:05 pm | Permalink

Gosh, you guys are such a stunningly well dressed couple! I think Charleston was my favourite Souther town I visited :)

Posted January 25, 2013 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Josie! : ) Yeah, I can see why Charleston was your favorite—I like it more and more each time I go there. So much to see!

10. Posted January 24, 2013 at 10:06 pm | Permalink

CHIC!

11. Becky
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 11:50 pm | Permalink

What a beautiful post! You and Drew are dressed so well – just right for a southern gem like Charleston! Was this house across from the inn we all stayed at a couple of years ago? I remember the owner talking about General Beauregard living close by.

Posted January 25, 2013 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

Becky!!! Nah, this one was pretty far up Meeting Street and a little to the right. But I think Beauregard had his headquarters at the house you’re talking about, too. We went and checked it out and saw the place where we stayed too : )

12. Rhiannon
    Posted January 25, 2013 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

Thanks everyone!

13. Posted January 26, 2013 at 6:28 pm | Permalink

This is totally off topic, but how are those shoes treating your feet? Maybe I’m crazy, or maybe I just had a bad shoe day, but they are murder to my toes :(

Posted January 29, 2013 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

Oooh, mine too. I’ve only worn them twice and my feet hurt both times. I love the way they look, though—I figure they’ll be fine if I only wear them on special occasions (when I won’t have to be on my feet too long). Definitely not walking shoes.