Missy Prince’s Mississippi

I found out about Portland-based photographer Missy Prince via Portland-based designer Jessie DeSue’s Facebook (I guess having a Facebook account is good for something), and instantly fell for her Flickr full of film photos and landscapes taken throughout the US. There are some gorgeous ones of the Pacific Northwest and of the Mojave Desert, but my favorites are the ones Prince takes in her native Mississippi. Armed with a couple of film cameras, Price photographs cotton fields, kudzu jungles, and abandoned buildings, showcasing the beautiful and strange sites of a state I really need to spend more time exploring.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted January 4, 2013 at 8:13 pm | Permalink

Love these photographs; thank you for sharing!! My family’s from the Tupelo area; these make me wanna hop in the car and go visit them soon. Mississippi is always unexpectedly gorgeous.

2. Posted January 4, 2013 at 10:21 pm | Permalink

These photos are beautiful and very cinematic.

3. Cindy
    Posted January 7, 2013 at 3:52 am | Permalink

In love with these photographs!

Cindy x

4. Posted January 8, 2013 at 3:25 am | Permalink

yet another reason why living in the south is so interesting. we watched beasts of the southern wild tonight and now we really want to visit louisiana and just drive around to random places – these photos are so beautiful, we should make some random drives around mississippi too.

5. Posted January 11, 2013 at 5:19 am | Permalink

Wow, this is just beautiful.

makimakivintage.com

6. Kelley
    Posted February 16, 2013 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

These remind me a bit of William Eggleston’s work. I’m a native southerner who’s moved north and always feel a little pang of familiarity and nostalgia when I see photos like these that remind me of home.

7. Rip Van Winkler
    Posted March 12, 2013 at 3:42 am | Permalink

Why are there horses in some pictures but not any horses in other pictures? Did you really, really love horses for like five minuets and then you just didn’t really like horses so much anymore? Or do you now HATE horses.

mildly curious.