Weekend Watch Cap

I got my hair cut a few weeks ago, cut to just above the shoulders—nothing too drastic, but different enough that I’ve been changing the way I dress to adapt to it.  I’ve been wearing jeans more, and after a while I also started stealing Drew’s hats, ones I never would have worn with long hair.  It just didn’t look right.

A couple nights before we went to Charleston I decided to knit my own watch cap-style hat so that I wouldn’t have to steal Drew’s anymore.  Thanks to Ravelry I found a great pattern, a quick knit using bulky yarn and big double pointed needles. I changed it up a little—I didn’t have any bulky yarn, so I used two strands of worsted instead, and also used smaller needles.  Here’s the pattern with a couple changes I made:

Handspun Ribbed Hat, adapted from Knit Wiki

Materials:
2 50 g. balls of worsted weight yarn
1 set of US size 10 double pointed needles
1 yarn needle for sewing in ends

Gauge:
I’m lazy, and don’t knit gauge samples unless I have to. The pattern calls for a gauge of around 15 stitches to 3.9 inches, but it might turn out differently since I use smaller needles.

Pattern:
Cast on 76 stitches and work around 8.5 inches of k2, p2 rib.

Decreases:
1st round: *K2, p2tog; repeat from * to the end of the round (57sts)
2nd round: *K2, p1; repeat from * to the end of the round
3rd round: *K2tog, P1; repeat from * to the end of the round (38sts)
4th round: *K1, p1; repeat from * to the end of the round
5th round: Knit 2 together around (19sts)
6th round: Knit 3 together six times, k1 (7sts)
Break yarn, thread the tail through the remaining stitches, pull tight and fasten off.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted January 23, 2013 at 7:50 pm | Permalink

What a lovely hat, I’m after one like this. Maybe I’ll have ago at knitting one myself! x

2. Posted January 23, 2013 at 8:17 pm | Permalink

I love that hat! What a fabulous color and shape :)

3. Posted January 23, 2013 at 9:14 pm | Permalink

from what i can see, your hair looks lovely and i love the hat! you are talented :)

xx rae

4. Posted January 23, 2013 at 10:12 pm | Permalink

that looks lovely and warm! x

5. Posted January 24, 2013 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

The hat looks lovely, Rhiannon!! Great job! You make me want to start knitting!

6. Posted January 24, 2013 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

Ooh what a great winter hat. I never do gauge swatches either! I’m so lazy about it. I’m always like “..eh. Seems about right.”

Posted January 24, 2013 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

Ha ha, glad I’m not the only one. If I’m knitting a sweater or something big I might do a swatch, but otherwise I’d rather just start over if I get it wrong. Such a pain!

Posted January 24, 2013 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

Love your hat! You look great!

8. Rhiannon
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

Thanks guys! : )

9. Mika
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 8:03 pm | Permalink

Yay! I was hoping that you would post a knitting pattern here :) Lovely hat! I made a slouchy beret once and it was quite an ordeal. And your haircut looks great! I’d love to see a post about your new style too.

10. Posted January 25, 2013 at 12:13 am | Permalink

This looks really well done and finished. Can’t wait to try my hand at this!

11. Posted February 4, 2013 at 3:25 am | Permalink

Oh wow, you’re so talented! I wish I could knit, I’m hopeless at it. I love this hat so much, it look awesome on you!! :D

12. Posted February 5, 2013 at 10:12 pm | Permalink

nice stile! :)))

13. Posted February 5, 2013 at 10:13 pm | Permalink

One Trackback

• By Walking around Charleston on January 29, 2013 at 7:43 pm

[...] Coat: Penny Stock Sweater: thrift store Bag: Clare Vivier Clutch Sunglasses:  Karen Walker Number One Shoes: Number 6 Necklace:  Madewell Arrowstack Jeans: Madewell Hat: made from this pattern [...]