1. Downtown—Yes, it’s fratty, and it’s a nightmare if there’s a UGA game happening, but I love it anyway. Athens was the first place I lived in when I moved south, and downtown is full of lots of good memories for me. Most importantly, it’s where I first met Drew.
2. Wuxtry Records—Last time we were there I bought a T. Rex album and this time a Bob Dylan one. The place has been there since the ’70s, which coincidentally is my favorite section in the record bins.
3. Community—Athens has quite a few vintage stores, but this one is my favorite right now.
4. Jackson Street Books—College town used book store heaven.
5. The outskirts of town—when I first moved south, living in Athens didn’t give me that much culture shock, but driving around in the country did. But mostly in a good way. Think roadside junk stores, abandoned buildings, and a lot of kudzu.
6. The Grit—I loved eating at this place before I even went vegetarian, so now that we’re vegan it’s perfect. They have good food and a laid-back, non-snobby vibe. Plus their vegan chocolate cake is the best I’ve ever had (second to my mom’s).