Why I like the thrift stores again

Dress: thrift store
Necklace/boots: Madewell
Bag: vintage, via Etsy
Sunglasses: Karen Walker

I like going to the thrift stores these days because I can find weird things like this. It’s home-sewn (probably made back in the ’90s) and looks to be a sweater hacked short and turned into a dress that was originally so long that it must have hit at the ankles. It was weird, so I bought it and shortened it, and it’s still weird.

All the best things we’ve bought lately have been from thrift stores. Everything from a faux silk black, dolman sleeved blouse, to a real silk pale green skirt that I need to take to a tailor still; from ’70s hippie house books to the old, rusted-out industrial-style table that Drew got for a few dollars at the Value Village. I used to go to thrift stores on shop-sourcing missions, looking at clothes and then getting the hell out, but now I take my time, going through the books, un-stacking old records (what’s with all the Lawrence Welk?), walking through the housewares aisle to find a basket I can put my knitting into so I don’t have to leave it sprawled out on the coffee table like I usually do.

Other things on my wishlist: an ’80s cape-coat (kind of like the one I found a few years ago, but different so I don’t wear the same coat all winter long), silk blouses, skirts that go past the knee, flat-ish Ferragamos to replace the ones I’ve just about broken, Pendleton blankets (Drew’s uncle finds them at thrift stores all the time, but I’ve had no luck), old travel books, ’80s art teacher necklaces, more ugly-weird dresses.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. bee
    Posted February 20, 2013 at 5:12 am | Permalink

My mum cuts up old blankets for use in rug making and she has learned that you have to ask for blankets. They often don’t put them on display for some reason? At least in Australia that is often the case.

• bee
      Posted February 20, 2013 at 5:13 am | Permalink

Also I forgot to mention, you are rocking the fringe! Love it.

2. Posted February 20, 2013 at 5:28 am | Permalink

Yeah that dress is truly weird-amazing. I love op shopping. I just look at the bedsheets for fabric to make dresses with.

3. Posted February 20, 2013 at 5:52 am | Permalink

ah yes, what style blogger doesn’t love thrift stores? I’ve never had any luck finding a pendleton blanket at one either, they’re pretty coveted. that dress is cool/odd, I like the textures mashing up.

4. Posted February 20, 2013 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

the dress is weird, but it still looks amazing on you! x

5. Posted February 20, 2013 at 6:24 pm | Permalink

Haha “it was weird, so I bought and shortened it, and it’s still weird”. I love you! It really is strange and awesome because it’s strange. I like the sweater texture and where it hits at the bust. can’t wait to see the industrial table next time we visit!

6. Posted February 20, 2013 at 8:47 pm | Permalink

It’s awesome I love it, I like hearing about your thrift adventures :)

7. Posted February 20, 2013 at 8:54 pm | Permalink

I got so burnt out of thrift stores I think it has been at least a year since I went to one. Maybe one day I will go again. I have only found Pendleton blankets at estate and garage sales, never thrift stores.

8. Posted February 21, 2013 at 3:48 am | Permalink

You look wonderful in that weird but very flattering dress. As for below-the-knee skirts, I know where you can find a whole bunch of them in all fabrics, styles, and price points (thought probably not quite Value Village cheap). ; )

If you saw my own recent blog post, it’s all about skirt length and what is and isn’t flattering. If I had your knees, and was your age, I’d wear this weird wonderful dress. But I don’t and I’m not, so I keep mine to the knee or longer. And as you suggest, finding such a thing at the mall or boutique is nearly impossible. You’ve gotta go vintage, take up something midi- or maxi-length, or otherwise make it yourself.

9. Posted February 21, 2013 at 5:06 pm | Permalink

Love your dress… really great design! Etsy is the best too :)