Downtown Nashville

I just did a little travel write-up on Nashville in a magazine called The Simple Things, and got the chance to play tourist in my town all over again. We’ve lived here for half a year, so sometimes we still feel like tourists—especially when we walk down Broadway, where most of the people are in cowboy boots and where live music plays in the honky-tonks at any time of day.

I wrote about some other places in the article—historic sites like Belle Meade and hipster meccas like Imogene + Willie and the Pinewood Social—but if I had to narrow down my must-visit list to one spot I’d choose Lower Broadway. There is history (Ernest Tubb’s record shop has been there since the ’40s, but mostly I remember it from the movie Coal Miner’s Daughter), lots of music (sometimes played in smoky hole-in-the-wall bars that seem to have been there forever), and an earnest, completely un-ironic hokeyness that I kind of love. It’s very Nashville and it’s refreshing.

You can see the article in the March issue of The Simple Things . . .

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted March 15, 2014 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

There is no way to go to Broadway without feeling like a tourist. It’s actually impossible!

2. the spectator
    Posted March 18, 2014 at 10:09 am | Permalink

Congratulations!
    I love this magazine and look forward to reading your feature when it eventually arrives in Australia.

• Posted March 21, 2014 at 6:38 pm | Permalink

Aww, thanks! It’s a great magazine. Non-pretentious and good.

Posted March 18, 2014 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

Will have to get the magazine! You write such great articles! We just have to come back to Nashville for a guided tour!

• Posted March 21, 2014 at 6:39 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Anthe! Well I think we went to a few of the places we photographed for the article—you guys will have to come back when it’s warmer so we can go to the vineyard!

4. Posted March 21, 2014 at 9:01 am | Permalink

I really like your pictures and the atmosphere they have. So nice!
    Much greetings from Germany