Weekend in Asheville

Nashville has been really hot lately and we were going stir-crazy, so last week we planned a spur of the moment trip to Asheville, North Carolina. We love the town more each time we visit, and I don’t think it’s really because Asheville has changed all that much in the last 4 years but that we have. We’re a lot more into vegetarian/vegan restaurants and hippie grocery stores and especially into outdoorsy things like hiking. We’re obsessed. In Nashville we’ve been hiking at Percy Warner every weekend,¬†and each time we go we talk about how really excited we are to try out the trails in the mountains.

We stayed in a beautiful cabin outside of town that a friend had told us about. A cabin built in the early 1800s, pushed back into the woods and surrounded by a farm, where roosters crow in the mornings and weird goats lie around in fields. We wanted a lazy weekend and definitely got it. We made some of our meals (soup for dinner and french toast for breakfast) and ate them on the screened-in porch. On Sunday we slept in and then took the Blue Ridge Parkway to Mount Mitchell to go hiking. In Asheville it had been hot and sunny, but on top of the mountain it was cloudy and misty the whole time and so cool that it felt like fall. The trail we took (the Old Mitchell) was also a lot, lot harder than the trails we usually hike. Especially in the rain. All the rocks and rocky ledges (which there were a lot of, and some were so steep that you had to use ropes to get down them) were slick, and ever since I broke my arm a few years ago I’ve been really paranoid about falling, but we made it to the top. Of course there were clouds and we couldn’t see a thing from the observation tower. But the trails themselves were beautiful, and in one spot we saw where a camp/resort had been in the early 1900s, right by some little waterfalls.

That night we ate at the Laughing Seed Cafe, which is one of my favorite vegetarian restaurants, maybe mostly for their vegan chocolate beet cake. It’s worth the trip into town. We were sad to leave the cabin and head back to Nashville the next day. I can’t remember the last time we wanted a trip to go on and on, but this one was it.

PS—I haven’t done an outfit post in forever, but I really wanted to get some photos with this dress. Drew’s cousin Brooke (my cousin-in-law) got it in Mali years ago when she was in the Peace Corps, and she recently gave it to me. It’s different from the dresses I usually wear, but it’s quickly become one of my favorites: I’ve been wearing it all the time this summer. Thanks again, Brooke!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted August 28, 2014 at 8:49 pm | Permalink

That screened in porch looks amazing.

Posted August 31, 2014 at 12:13 am | Permalink

It made us realize we need a screened in porch!

2. Posted August 30, 2014 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

Oh wow, it looks so beautiful there! and yay! outfit post! your dress is amazing and you look amazing. and RUFUS!! <3

Posted August 31, 2014 at 12:14 am | Permalink

Thanks, Alex! Glad you like the Rufus pictures . . . he loves having his photo taken. : )

Posted September 1, 2014 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

The whole place is wonderful and how exciting to be in such a neat cabin with lots of history!
    Brooke’s Dress looks great on you and of course the pictures by Drew and my Grand Dog Rufus looks great!

4. Crystal Lee
    Posted September 17, 2014 at 11:32 pm | Permalink

Looks like paradise! I’d love to see more of this dress. It looks great on you.

5. Posted October 8, 2014 at 8:35 pm | Permalink

What a lovely cabin, rustic and romantic. Seams like paradise for inspiration and breathing..

6. Posted November 14, 2014 at 6:24 pm | Permalink

Is this lovely cabin a rental? If so, would you be willing to share the contact information with me? I would love to stay there. Thank you.

7. Posted November 25, 2014 at 4:57 am | Permalink

This is the cutest little cabin in the most romantic setting. Love the images and that dress you have on x

8. Tonita
    Posted December 8, 2014 at 3:53 am | Permalink

Hi,
    I just found your blog by way of pinning that amazing porch that I found on Pinterest. OMG.. I love that cabin and wish you had posted more pictures. It is so cool. Do you have any pictures of the loft?? Ok, I will ck the airbnb site.

By the way … you make a great model for that cute dress you are wearing.

I currently live in WA state and am moving to Western NC soon. Since you seem to like vintage charm you may want to look at my tiny home at
    http://www.ShabbyChicTinyRetreat.blogspot.com .

I am going to sift through some of your posts about the South. Thanks and many blessings.

Posted December 11, 2014 at 6:16 pm | Permalink

Tonita, your little cabin is adorable!!

Yeah, definitely check out the listing—pretty sure they have pictures of every single room. Western NC is beautiful, especially around Asheville. A perfect place for another little cabin, if you want to build another. : )