Oregon

I don’t think I ever mentioned here that we were moving to Portland, Oregon because it was something I was so excited about that I was half afraid it might never happen. Also it was something we just decided on one day last fall while we were hiking; even when we had the moving pods scheduled to come and the house cleaned out and packed up it still didn’t seem real.

We decided to move out west sometime last year when we realized that Nashville wasn’t the place for us. It’s not a bad city at all; I think I would have liked living there a lot more years before it became the “cool” city to live in. I liked it when it was still gritty and full of character, before it became over-hyped and over-instagrammed. To be fair I think we’ve changed a lot over the last few years too, and we’re just into different things now (right now mostly hiking and running and cooking vegan food), and after hiking at the city’s best park and eating at one of the few vegetarian spots for the hundredth time, we knew it was time to leave.

So last month we drove across the country and moved to Portland. We stayed with friends until we found a house to rent, and spent the first week going on mountain hikes, searching Craigslist for rentals (which is not fun right now—especially glad it’s over) and eating at a few of the crazy amount of vegan restaurants around town. I’ll have to do a post about the food here because I still can’t get over how good it is and how there are so many vegan cafes and food carts and bars and bakeries around here that we’ll probably never be able to hit them all.

Our friend Bobby (I think his codename on this blog was always Lightfoot) moved to Portland from Atlanta years ago, and when we got to town he showed us some hikes on the way to the Columbia River Gorge. So far we’ve seen lots of waterfalls and mountains and a few bald eagles. Last weekend Drew and I went out to the coast and hiked up a mountain and then had lunch on the beach. Our weekends are pretty different now.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted May 13, 2015 at 7:25 pm | Permalink

sounds like moving really was the right decision and that you’re enjoying it there:-) and the photos are beautiful, oregon looks lovely! xx

Posted May 14, 2015 at 12:57 am | Permalink

Thanks, Laura—those photos were taken by Drew, not me (I should have credited him, ha ha). We miss our family, but that’s about the only thing we mis about the south so far.

2. Florence
    Posted May 13, 2015 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

This is beautiful! Congratulations on your move–I hear Oregon is a wonderful place to live.

Posted May 14, 2015 at 12:56 am | Permalink

Thanks, Florence, it’s really great so far!

3. oni
    Posted May 13, 2015 at 10:54 pm | Permalink

what about prices? I know that when i moved from atlanta back to LB i was and still am shocked by the rental prices. It makes me want to cry and move to austin (because its still cool and so much cheaper) I love portland too but fear I will be priced out of the market.
    Boo.

Posted May 14, 2015 at 12:56 am | Permalink

Yes! The rental prices got really crazy, and just finding a place is tough since there are so many people looking and moving here right now. Nashville was getting to be the same way, though—not enough housing for all the people coming in. I’m hoping it doesn’t get more expensive in Portland too. Have never been to Austin but I’ve always wanted to go. Is it really that much cheaper? It looks really fun, but maybe too hot for us!

4. Posted May 14, 2015 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

Congrats!!! I just moved to Portland myself from Washington a couple of months ago. I’ve been a bit shy and haven’t really connected with any fellow artists/photographers yet (I do mostly film photography and videos). Might be weird to offer since we don’t know each other, but if you guys ever need an art gallery buddy or a photo excursion, let me know :). Hope you like the west coast!

Posted August 24, 2015 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

Alison, I didn’t log in and check comments for forever so didn’t see this, but I’ll totally hit you up. Hope you’re loving Portland!

Posted May 15, 2015 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

The pictures are great and so happy you found a place you’ll be comfortable in and take in all it has to offer with the mountains and the streams.
    We miss you guys but hope to visit someday!

Posted August 24, 2015 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

Please visit!!!!! : )

6. roberta
    Posted May 15, 2015 at 6:18 pm | Permalink

The south will miss you! Excited though about your new west coast adventures!

Posted August 24, 2015 at 5:14 pm | Permalink

Please visit, part two!!! : ) :) :)

7. Posted May 20, 2015 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

I’m so excited for you! And envious, ha! I love the thought of moving to a place better suited to me and my lifestyle, but…there are reasons I just can’t right now. But there’s nothing like a fresh start in a new place, so enjoy!

Bettye

Posted August 24, 2015 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Bettye! It’s a really scary thing. We though about moving west for a few years before finally just deciding to go for it. If it doesn’t work out we can always move back, or move somewhere else for another fresh start. (fresh starts really are the best)

8. Posted May 31, 2015 at 10:35 pm | Permalink

Oooh, it looks so beautiful and peaceful.

I’ve heard a lot of amazing things about Oregon, and despite having never visited, it is somewhere that I could see myself living one day. I can only imagine how great it has been so far, exploring and discovering your landscape.

I’ve heard a lot too about the vegetarian/vegan scene – it’s a shame that other places and cities don’t seem to cater for us, but I’m glad to hear that you’ve found some good eateries.

I”m looking forward to hearing/reading more about your new adventures!

Posted August 24, 2015 at 5:17 pm | Permalink

If you’re veg/vegan then you would love Portland! And I think I probably complained too much about the vegan scene in the South—there are lots of vegan restaurants there (more than I would think there’d be), and Nashville was just fine. It’s just that here just about every place has vegan options (even weird little roadside beef jerky stands on the way to the coast) and so we’re already spoiled.

9. erin
    Posted June 2, 2015 at 2:46 am | Permalink

Aww, I’m just seeing this – welcome to Portland! If you’ve found a place to rent that’s a huge part of the battle. It’s really tough these days.
    I think I’ve been reading your blog for years now so I thought I’d venture a hello. Sounds like the city is treating you well so far!

Posted August 24, 2015 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Erin! We’re loving it here more than ever—never have lived in a place where I’ve felt more comfortable/at home.

And, yes! Renting (and probably buying) is a nightmare right now!